Scientific Life within the BPA
BPA Scientific Life whilst long established, continues to develop its modes of professional expression and communication.
Scientific Meetings are held regularly (see those listed below) and consist of Psychoanalytic Papers or Panel presentations followed by chaired debates.
There is a tradition of regular Clinical Presentations with discussions that stimulate exchanges between BPA members of different theoretical orientations: Contemporary Freudian, Kleinian and Independent.
Special Interest Groups and Workshops grow from members interests, and include:
- Winnicott Group
- Poetry Discussion Group
- Analytic Intervention Workshop
- Borderline Personality Disorder Workshop
- Reading Group
There are a steady stream of papers and books produced by BPA members.
The BPA offers a Peer Review Service whereby members interested in writing for publication or presentation can receive feedback at any stage in the writing process.
The organisation awards the Dan Twomey Prize for an original paper on a clinical, theoretical, or applied psychoanalytic subject. The prize is named in honour of the late Dan Twomey, a founder of the BPA.
For a list of Society Books and Publications see link to Publications page.
Forthcoming Scientific Meetings 2018
Burnett Room, 37 Mapesbury Road, 11 am - 1 pm
- Saturday 28th April 11.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.: Alan Colam : Libidinal/defensive and hostile/destructive narcissism: a case study
- Saturday 23rd June 11.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.: Panal Discussion with: Jean Arundale, Shawn Tower and David Morgan: 'The changing nature of sexuality and couplings: has it changed the nature of unconscious phantasy?'
- Sunday 7th October 11.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.: Dr Maxim de Sauma : Title to be confirmed.
- Saturday 24th November 11.00 a.m.- 1.00 p.m.: Open Scientific Meeting: Caroline Polmear: Listening to Unconscious Communication
Past Scientific Meetings 2018
- Saturday 17th March 11.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.: Dr Lesley Caldwell 'Play and playing; a fundamental of life inside and outside the consulting room'.
- Saturday 3 February: Clinical Presentation and Discussion. Catherine McKisak, presenter, Helen Alfille and Noel Hess, discussants.
Past Scientific Meetings 2017
Click here to view past Scientific Meetings
- Saturday 28th January: Panel Discussion with Ms Claudia Kramer BPA, Ms Irene Freeden BPA and Ms Susan Wax BPA. "Analytic Neutrality: achievable or desirable?"
- Saturday 11th March: Dr Wilhelm Skogstad, BPA and BPAS 'Speaking through Action, Acting though Speech: Acting and Enacting in the Analytic Process'.
- Saturday 24th June: Dr Jean Arundale, BPA, 'Sexuality and Psychoanalysis'.
- Sunday 24th September: Dr David Simpson BPA and BPAS, 'Unconscious Guilt across Generations: The transmission of the psychic effects of trauma and authoritarian states of mind across the generations'.
- Saturday 18th November: Open Scientific Meeting. Professor Dr Catalina Bronstein, President BPAS, 'The Uncanny effect of Dissociation'
For information or enquiries please write to the Chair BPA Scientific Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring +44 (0)20 8452 9823.