Scientific Life within the BPA
BPA Scientific Life whilst long established, continues to develop its modes of professional expression and communication.
Scientific Meetings are held regularly (see those listed below) and consist of Psychoanalytic Papers or Panel presentations followed by chaired debates.
There is a tradition of regular Clinical Presentations with discussions that stimulate exchanges between BPA members of different theoretical orientations: Contemporary Freudian, Kleinian and Independent.
Special Interest Groups and Workshops grow from members interests, and include:
- Winnicott Group
- Poetry Discussion Group
- Analytic Intervention Workshop
- Borderline Personality Disorder Workshop
- Reading Group
There are a steady stream of papers and books produced by BPA members.
The BPA offers a Peer Review Service whereby members interested in writing for publication or presentation can receive feedback at any stage in the writing process.
The organisation awards the Dan Twomey Prize for an original paper on a clinical, theoretical, or applied psychoanalytic subject. The prize is named in honour of the late Dan Twomey, a founder of the BPA.
For a list of Society Books and Publications see link to Publications page.
Forthcoming Scientific Meetings 2017
Burnett Room, 37 Mapesbury Road, 11 am - 1 pm
- Saturday 24th June: Dr Jean Arundale, BPA, will present a paper, 'Sexuality and Psychoanalysis'.
- Sunday 24th September: To be confirmed.
- Saturday 18 November: Open Scientific Meeting. Professor Dr Catalina Bronstein, President BPAS, will present a paper, title to be confirmed.
Past Scientific Meetings 2017
- Saturday 28th January: Panel Discussion with Ms Claudia Kramer BPA, Ms Irene Freeden BPA and Ms Susan Wax BPA. "Analytic Neutrality: achievable or desirable?"
- Saturday 11th March: Dr Wilhelm Skogstad, BPA and BPAS 'Speaking through Action, Acting though Speech: Acting and Enacting in the Analytic Process'.
Past Scientific Meetings 2016
Click here to view past Scientific Meetings
- Saturday 30th January: Ms Lesley Bell and Mr Philip Roys, BPA, on the topic "Psychoanalysis in 2025", followed by discussion.
- Saturday 5th March: Mr. David Morgan, BPA and BPAS, with Professor Steven Groarke of the BPAS as Discussant, "Migration and Catastrophic Change. Cultural Displacement and Homelessness in the Analytic Space".
- Saturday 7th May: Ms Viqui Rosenberg, BPA, "Action in search of meaning: reflections on enactment."
- Saturday 25th June: Mrs Lesley Steyn, BPA, "On aspects of narcissism".
- Saturday 24th September: Panel discussion with Dr Eric Smadja of the Paris Psychoanalytical Society, Freud and Culture.
- Saturday 12th November, Open Scientific Meeting: Dr Roger Kennedy, former President of the BPAS, "Fear of Strangers: whose home is it?"
For information or enquiries please write to the Chair BPA Scientific Committee at email@example.com or ring +44 (0)20 8452 9823.